Monday, April 11, 2011

Big-Batch Banana Blueberry Muffins

Jerome recently came home from the library with the cookbook Canada's 150 Best Diabetes Desserts. Which I think is my new favourite cookbook. And I'm pretty sure that my 'no new cookbooks' rule can be broken, given the special circumstances of Jerome's diabetes, right??? ;) So I think I'm gonna have to run out and get myself my own copy. It's full of all sorts of healthy desserts, using lots of flax, whole-wheat flour (which I usually substitute in anyways) and bran. So my thing...

These muffins are the first (and so far only) recipe that I've tried from the book and I really liked them. Although I like the flavour of flax, I thought the muffins might have an overpowering flax flavour, given how much is in them. But the banana nicely offsets the flax and they're quite tasty. I had meant to split the recipe in half (since we clearly can't get through 36 muffins on our own before they go bad - 18 is even more than pushing it!), but I messed up halfway through and dumped in an entire container of applesauce. So we now have 36 of these to get through, as I have no space in my freezer at all these days. So yes, Heather, I'll likely drop some of these off one day this week :)

3 C whole-wheat flour
3 C ground flaxseed
2 C lightly packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. baking soda
pinch salt
3 eggs
3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 C)
1 jar (128 mL) baby food prunes or unsweetened applesauce
2/3 C vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 C fresh or frozen blueberries




1. In a large bowl, combine flour, flaxseed, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

2. In a very large bowl, combine eggs, bananas, prunes, oil and vanilla. Fold in flour mixture until just combined. Fold in blueberries.

3. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.

4. Bake in a 350 degree Farenheit oven for 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through, or until tops are firm to the touch.

Makes 36 muffins (I got 30 out of them).


Nutrients per muffin:
185 calories
25g carbohydrates
5g fiber
4g protein
8g fat

No comments: