Here's another recipe that I tried for Christmas and I found them to be quite good. This also comes from the Canadian Living Special Cookbook Issue magazine I bought this year. I omitted the walnuts so that Ash could have some.
3/4 C unsalted butter
1 egg yolk
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla
2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda and salt
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
30 walnut halves
1. In small saucepan, cook butter over medium heat until brown and nutty, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
2. In large bowl, beat brown sugar with cooled butter until flurry. Beat in egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
3. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture in 2 additions.
4. Roll by rounded 1 tbsp. into balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place, about 3 inches apart, on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. With bottom of glass or measuring cup, press to scant 1/2-inch thickness. Press walnut half into centre of each.
5. Bake in 350 degree Farenheit oven until golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool on pans on racks for 3 minutes; transfer to racks and let cool completely.
Makes 30 cookies.