Saturday, July 28, 2012

Healthy No-Bake Hemp Seed Peanut Butter Balls

This recipe comes from my good friend Heather.  I've been in a bit of a snack rut lately and this is my new favourite afternoon snack.  Along with a glass of iced chai.  Remember my chai latté addiction?  Well it has now morphed into an iced chai latte addiction.  I've just started buying the Tazo chai concentrate and making myself iced chai at home.  Next on my to-do list?  Figure out how to make a homemade version that tastes just as good.  Stay tuned.

This is super, super quick to make, is no bake and is fully of all things good and healthy.  A perfect snack or treat anytime.

6 tbsp. of any nut butter (I've used chocolate soy butter and sunbutter, though I'm dying to try them with natural peanut butter)
3 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. hemp seed
1 C quick-cook oatmeal or quinoa flakes (be sure to use quinoa flakes and not quinoa itself - you can get this in any health food store in the hot cereal section)
1/8 C mini chocolate chips


1.  Mix all ingredients together.  Press into balls.  Eat.
 


Then eat some more.


Then just one last one.  Before you hide them away.  For 10 minutes later.

And yup.  Logan likes these guys too.

Makes 16-18 balls.

For a bigger batch (about 4 times the original recipe):

1 1/2 C of any nut butter (I used chocolate soy butter
3/4 C maple syrup
1/2 C hemp seed
4 C quick-cook oatmeal or quinoa flakes
1/2 C mini chocolate chips

Difficulty level: easy 

Gluten-free if you use certified gf oats or quinoa flakes for added protein.  If you use certified gf oats, you may want to pulse them briefly in a food processor if they are not quick-cook oats.

Dairy-free if made with dairy-free chocolate chips

32 comments:

Ashley said...

So making these tonight!!

Food for Thought Linds said...

I just made a quadruple batch and froze them.

Debbie said...

I think I will have to try this one!

Food for Thought Linds said...

I promise you won't regret it! I just added instructions for a bigger batch, in case you want to do that instead - great for the freezer.

Natalie said...

YUMMY!!! I've been looking for recipes for quinoa! I'm DEFINITELY doing this tomorrow!

Kristy said...

Any idea what happens if you can't use quick cooking oats? (I think the gf oats aren't quick cooking but may be wrong!) also do you think quinoa flakes would work?

Food for Thought Linds said...

@Nat - be sure to use quinoa flakes and not quinoa itself. It's like quick-cook oatmeal, a little smaller. You can get it in a health food store in the hot cereal section.

@Kristy - The gf ones I bought are not quick cook. You could probably process them a bit in your food processor (pulse or they'll turn into oat bran). I just used quinoa flakes today, b/c it was easier. And it worked well - was just a little crunchier than with oatmeal.

Kris said...

Sorry Linds - I read it off of my phone and missed that my answers were in the blog itself!

Food for Thought Linds said...

nope, I actually added some of the answers in afterwards :)

Ashley said...

Kris,

Our Bulk Barn sells gf quick cooking oats. Maybe yours will too.

Kristy said...

I made these this morning. Looks like I don't need breakfast. Lol. Do you think they would work adding nuts and dried fruits?

Food for Thought Linds said...

yup, probably. Maybe just add more pb if it doesn't stick.

Kristy said...

Ok, I'll let you know if it works once I try it!

Food for Thought Linds said...

p.s. I guess that means you liked them?

Andrea said...

I think you're an evil genius for posting this - genius because they're delicious; evil because I can't stop enjoying their deliciousness. For those of you in the Lower Mainland, I found quinoa flakes in the non-organic bulk section of Save On Foods. I used chia in place of the hemp seed. Enjoy!

Food for Thought Linds said...

I'm laughing so hard because I've heard this from everyone who has made them since ;) And I think we ate at least 12 of them between the two of us yesterday... gonna try them with chia next time. Good idea :)

Andrea said...

Just remember that chia expands ... it's the only thing holding me back from a total pig out.

Food for Thought Linds said...

all the more reason to make them with chia, then. I've already had 2 today...

Kristy said...

Yep I liked them! I may make some more for this weekend!

Food for Thought Linds said...

I may have to too. Even though I made a quadruple batch. It's the only snack I can really think of now that has some protein.

Kristy said...

"I forgot I was planning to make these tonight! I'm making bread instead :("

Andrea said...

I decided this morning that breakfast was in need of dessert.

Food for Thought Linds said...

yes, we had these for breakfast on our way to the zoo the other day :)

Kristy said...

Any tips for rolling the quinoa/hemp balls? I find it so sticky and hard to roll!

Food for Thought Linds said...

I didn't roll them. Just bunch them in your hands into a ball.

Kristy said...

I eventually get them in a ball but find it hard. I'm tempted to put dry quinoa flakes on my hands to see if it helps!

Food for Thought Linds said...

yes, it would.

Anonymous said...

This is the best recipe EVER. I was thralling Google for quinoa flakes that didn't use flour and this fits the bill! Thanks so much for the recipe :)

Food for Thought Linds said...

Great :) I'm glad you enjoyed them. It's almost the only thing my just turned one year old will eat. I tell myself that at least she's getting some carbs and protein. If only I could sneak in some fruits and veggies ;)

If you like these, you should also try my super powered granola bars: http://foodforthoughtlinds.blogspot.ca/2012/08/super-powered-granola-bars.html Though not with quinoa flakes, they are gf and completely delicious. I also just made my chia banana muffins with the rice flour and they were really good too :)

Unknown said...

hey do you have to cook the oats or quinoa flakes?

Food for Thought Linds said...

Nope, not at all. Ready in minute. Enjoy :)

Edmond G. Belanger said...

Not at all like the leaves of the cannabis plant, hemp seeds have no psychoactive properties at all. The minor seeds of a hemp plant can offer more protein than eggs, dairy or even some meat items. They contain the majority of the basic amino acids and basic unsaturated fats important for sound human life. I find a very good site for the weed list, You can visit this site.