Monday, July 2, 2012

Waffle Cone Fruit Cups

Logan and I headed to the grocery store yesterday afternoon by bike to pick up some whipping cream for this dessert.  Which turned out to be a bit of an adventure.  

Logan loves being in our bike hitch, so I took biked around for 30-40 minutes before going to the grocery store.  And when we arrived, I realized that my wallet was nowhere in sight.  My last memory of seeing it... had been... when I had placed it next to him in the bike hitch.

SH****!!


This led to a bit of a frantic panic as I snapped Logan back into the hitch and headed out to re-do the bike ride in reverse order, hunting for my darned wallet. 

Which was nowhere to be found.

So I eventually just gave up and headed home to admit to my husband that I had been dumb enough to leave my wallet in the hands of a 2 year old.


Only to find it lying on the end of my driveway.

Not sure which is worse to admit - that I left my wallet with a 2 year old or that I left it on the end of my driveway...

I'm just glad that my neighbours are apparently honest people.


Back to the grocery store we headed, once again.  

My intention had been to buy some whipping cream, ice cream cones and ginger (not all for the same recipe!).  That'll fit easy into the back of a bike hitch, right?

But then I remembered that we were also out of milk.  And cheese was on sale.  And I bought some stuff to make a cake to give Camille some cake decorating lessons when she comes to visit next week.  And then Logan found the pudding, which we were almost out of.  You get the idea.

In the end, I had way more groceries than I should have, given that I was biking home.  I stuck them in the little spot behind where Logan sits.  Only to realize a short moment later that it is only held together by velcro.  Which burst open from the groceries.  Which I realized as my groceries came tumbling out of the bike hitch, all over the parking lot, as I sped away on my bike. 

SH****!!

So I just piled it all in around Logan.  Looked a little something like this:


Though by the time we got back home, it was looking more like this:


Figured we had to cross a bunny on someone's lawn on our way home.  And that I was dumb enough to point it out to Logan.  Who then insisted he wanted out to see.  Who could refuse their child such an experience, even if it meant having to dig him out from under a mountain of groceries to do so?


In the end, everything got home.  Logan, myself, all of the groceries, and even my wallet (and credit card, which the cashier was kind enough to remind me to take with me).  Phew.

After dinner, we made these delicious fruit cups, which Heather had made for us for dessert a couple of weeks ago.  I love the idea.  Relatively healthy, yet a bit of a treat as well.  And super quick and simple to make, which makes them even better.  Plus, they're kid friendly.



You basically just need some waffle cones, mixed chopped fresh fruit and whipping cream.  Be sure to have the waffle cones or bowls, and not the smaller sugar cones so that you have lots of room for the fruit.  

I put a couple of dark chocolate chips in the bottom of the cone for a little treat at the end.  You then just fill the cone with any mixture of fresh fruit - I used chopped strawberries, blueberries and blackberries the first time I made them and then blueberries and bananas the second time.


little monkey hands, sneaking a blueberry as I try to get a picture


Then you just put a bit of whipping cream on top (I used light).  



Just be sure to fill the cones just before serving, as the fruit will otherwise make them soggy.  If you cut your fruit up in advance and have fruit that may discolour (such as apples), just squeeze a bit of lemon juice on it.

Even Logan liked them.  Really, what kid wouldn't?



Difficulty level: easy

8 comments:

Kris said...

Camille's visiting?!

Also, I remember going for a bike ride and my house/car keys fell without me noticing it. I realized it when I got home 1.5 hours later and had to re-do the ride to find them. Not fun! But I found them on a bike path thankfully.

Food for Thought Linds said...

Yup, she just decided 2 days ago.

And bahaha!! I actually wrote "I kinda felt like my sister Kristy at that moment". And then deleted it b/c I thought you might be offended.

Kris said...

Lol you do those things way more often than I do nowadays!

Food for Thought Linds said...

true story. But I can blame it on mommy brain ;)

Camille said...

Yes I' m coming for a cake lesson!!!!

Lee-Ann said...

Oh boy, I don't want to laugh at the the story but I kind of had too. LOL Great recipe & so simple, I'll have to do that for the kids, they'd love it!

Camille said...

One day I bought a stuff to make laundry dry, I was used to have a big car, but this day I had my Mo'm's little one.

And that stupid stuff did not want to get in the car, I had to put my girl's car seat next to my at front with "the laundry dryer" on the top of her head!!!
good job, but We did it!!!

Food for Thought Linds said...

I have a recollection of buying bikes that wouldn't fit into our car and Ashley and Steph riding them home from the store for me!