Sunday, February 6, 2011

Peach-Blueberry Cobbler

This recipe also comes from The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes. I made this for us for dessert last week. I substituted Splenda for the sugar, because of Jerome's diabetes and used whole-wheat flour instead of regular.

Which reminds me that I should maybe give an update on Jerome's health. I hadn't thought of doing so, but a few people have asked me how he has been doing, further to a previous post, so I figure that I should fill everyone in. We learned a few weeks back that he doesn't have hemochromatosis, which was fabulous news. So he basically just has diabetes. They aren't sure yet whether it is Type 1 or 2, but will be able to figure that out over the next few months based on how he responds to the insulin they've given him. So it's a slight life change, but basically things are just fine.

So on to the recipe...

2 C peaches, peeled and sliced, or 2 cans (14 oz./398 mL) sliced peaches, drained
2 C blueberries, thawed if frozen
1/2 C sugar (I used 1/3 C Splenda)
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour (I used whole-wheat)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. Amaretto liqueur or 1/2 tsp. almond extract (I omitted this because I can't have nuts while breastfeeding)




Topping:

1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C sugar (I used 1/8 C Splenda)
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch salt
1 tbsp. lemon zest
3 tbsp. butter
1/3 C milk




1. In prepared stoneware, combine peaches, blueberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon juice and Amaretto or almond extract. Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours or on High for 2 hours.

2. To make Topping: In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle with milk and stir with a fork until a thick butter forms.

3. Drop batter by spoonfuls over hot fruit. Cover and cook on High for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Spoon into individual bowls and serve with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, if desired.

Serves 4 to 6.

Peach cobbler: Use 4 C peaches instead of the blueberry-peach mixture.

Blueberry cobbler: Use 4 C blueberries instead of the blueberry-peach mixture.

No comments: