Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Zucchini with Cheese

I have a bunch of different "recipes" for veggie side dishes that I tend to make over and over and over again. I say "recipes" because they're all super simple and really just a quick way of giving the vegetable a bit more flavour. They're so simple that I feel it's almost silly to blog them. But they're tasty and are a real staple in our household.  So I've decided to gradually put these up as we make them. 

In the winter, we tend to often pull our main dish out of the freezer from all of the things I've made that we still haven't gotten around to eating - speaking of which, I have no idea what we ate tonight.  And no idea how long it's been in our freezer.  It was some random bean/cauliflower curry or something and was quite good, but I'd have no idea how to find the recipe for it again if I wanted to.  That's just how full my freezer is!  

Anyhow, in winter we pull out of the freezer and in the summer we often bbq.  So quite frequently, I just need to add rice/quinoa or something and veggies to go with the meal.  So I alternate between these staples, as they're all quick to make on a weeknight when you're getting home from work (not that I've actually done that for awhile, but you get the point...).

Zucchini with Cheese

1 zucchini
olive or canola oil
garlic powder
grated fresh Parmesan cheese



1.  Cut the two ends off of the zucchini and then slice it lengthwise, making two long sections. 

2.  Use a Misto sprayer to spray each piece with a bit of oil.  Alternatively, you could use a bbq brush to brush on a bit of oil.  Sprinkle zucchini pieces with garlic powder (I like to put on lots).

3.  Bake in the oven at 400 degrees Farenheit for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the zucchini.  Use a fork to test that it is cooked when ready.

4.  Sprinkle the zucchini with a bit of grated fresh Parmesan cheese.  Place in the oven on broil.  Watch closely, and bake until the cheese just starts to turn brown.

My favourite is to make this with fresh Parmesan cheese, but when I run out, I also occasionally use regular Parmesan or even shredded mozzarella.


Makes 2 servings.

No comments: