Friday, June 24, 2011

Arugula Oven-Dried Tomato Salad

I've had a super, super, super lazy day... I've been sick all week and have had next to zero energy. Thank goodness it's a holiday here in Quebec, so Jerome is home and I was able to yet again spend much of my day on the couch. I slept until noon (well after getting up from 5:30-8:30 with Logan), then fell asleep again with Logan from 1-2:30. And I've spent much of my afternoon lying on the couch being lazy. So here was my only contribution to anything in the house today, as Jerome spent much of his day finishing painting the basement, installing lights, etc. 

You have to make this well in advance, as the tomatoes take a long time to cook. But the salad itself is super quick and easy to make. I usually use fresh parmesan on the salad, but I didn't have the energy to dig to the very bottom of my freezer to find some. So this time I just used the crappy store-bought powdered kind. But it's way better with real parmesan. I also didn't use plum tomatoes, as I only had vine tomatoes, but it worked out just as well. I think that the plum tomatoes are just less juicy, so probably a better choice if you have to go to the grocery store anyhow.

2 large bunches arugula, stems trimmed
1 C oven-dried tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 oz. freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese


1.  To make oven-dried tomatoes (use plum tomatoes): Preheat oven to 325 degrees Farenheit.  Cut tomatoes into wedges (quarters for small tomatoes and sixths for larger ones).  Arrange tomatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer.  Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until tomatoes are dried slightly but still soft to the touch.  Be careful not to overdry.  Remove from oven and allow to cool; cut tomatoes into 1/2-inch pieces.


2.  In a large bowl, gently toss together arugula, tomato slices, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Season with salt and pepper.  Place on salad plates.  Using a vegetable peeler, shave some cheese onto each plate.  Serve immediately.

No comments: