Sunday, September 4, 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse Pie

This has got to be amongst the healthiest of dessert choices...  Can you tell that I'm pregnant and just don't care??? Can I maybe justify it by saying that at least the peanut butter has some protein and good fats??? 

Nah, let's just go back to the just don't care part, as that's the truth of the matter. This is one of my all-time favourite desserts, and I really almost never get a chance to make it. Since it's not terribly healthy, I usually only make it when we have company or are going to someone else's for dinner. But given that half of the people I know have someone in their family who has a nut allergy (my family included), my opportunities to make this are few and far between. And as I'm already dreading the day that I will have to cut out peanut butter to breastfeed again, I decided to just make it for us this weekend. A whole pie, for us. Not something I typically do. But at least this one is kept in the freezer, so we'll be under no obligation to eat it every single day (heehee... obligation).

I omit the sugar in the chocolate mousse, as I don't find you need it. I don't bother decorating it most of the time. On the odd occasion, I've used Reese's Pieces to decorate the outside edge of the pie. As this is kept in the freezer, it's great for when company is coming, as you can make it a few days in advance and no one will be able to tell the difference.

Crust:
1 1/4 C chocolate wafer crumbs (I use Oreo crumbs)
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/3 C melted butter (I use light margarine) 

Peanut butter filling:
4 oz. (120g) cream cheese
2 tbsp. table cream (15%)
3/4 C smooth peanut butter
1/3 C granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C whipping cream (35%), whipped

Chocolate mousse:
1/2 C whipping cream (not whipped) 
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 eggs, divided
1/4 C granulated sugar (I omit this last amount of sugar)

Garnish:
1/2 C whipping cream, whipped
1 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, grated



Crust:  In mixing bowl, combine crumbs, sugar and butter, mixing until combined.  Press into bottom and sides of a 10-inch pie place (I only put the crust on the bottom).  Bake in a 325 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Cool before filling.

Peanut butter filling: In bowl, mix cream cheese, cream, peanut butter, sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth.  Gently whisk in whipped cream; mix until well blended.  Spread over cooled crust; refrigerate while preparing the mousse.

Chocolate mousse layer: Bring cream to a boil; add chocolate chips and stir until melted.  Add egg yolks, whisking until well blended.  In mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy; gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.  Fold into chocolate mixture and when blended, pour over peanut butter layer.  Cover and freeze until ready to serve.  Remove from the freezer 20-30 minutes before serving, but serve frozen.

Garnish: Spread with whipped cream and sprinkle with grated chocolate.  

Makes 8 to 10 servings (I cut it into 12 servings).

No comments: