I made this for dinner the other night and stuck two extra portions into the freezer for post-baby days. This recipe also comes from Canada's Best Slow Cooker Recipes. As with the Thai chicken thighs I recently made, I also use more chicken in this recipe than is called for, without doubling any of the rest of the ingredients. I buy the boneless, skinless chicken thighs and used about 1.4 kg to make this.
1/4 C flour
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
8 chicken thighs, skin removed if desired
1 can (540 mL) pineapple pieces, drained, juice reserved
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 C soya sauce
2 tbsp. dry sherry
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 C snow peas, cut in half diagonally
slivered almonds, toasted (omit for a nut-free version)
1. In a bowl or plastic bag, combine flour, curry powder, 1/2 tsp. of the mustard, salt and black pepper. Coat chicken in flour mixture and place in slow cooker. Add pineapple.
2. In a bowl combine all but 2 tbsp. reserved pineapple juice, soya sauce, sherry, brown sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp. dry mustard; stir to mix well. Pour over chicken in slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
4. In a bowl combine cornstarch and remaining pineapple juice; mix well. Pour into slow cooker. Add snow peas. Cover and cook on High for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
5. To toast almonds, spread on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree Farenheit oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Serve garnished with slivered almonds.
Variation: Instead of snow peas, try substituting broccoli florets.