Monday, April 22, 2013

Brazilian Chicken Stroganoff

Oh my, blogging has taken a back seat in my oh-so crazy life... I have so much to share about life, but no time to sit here and do it.  Instead, a quick recipe...

Had I ever come across this recipe on my own I would never have made it.  Ever.  The idea of mixing chicken in ketchup and mustard and then throwing in some mushrooms...???  Well, it sounds just plain disgusting to me. 

Don't stop reading this post just yet.  I swear this recipe is actually kind of tasty.  And pretty effortless to prepare.  Perfect for my crazy life.

Jerome's cousin had been here staying with us for a couple of weeks in March.  She made this recipe for us the last time she came to visit, just before Chloé was born.  I ate it before I knew what was in it.  I probably would not have been eager to taste it, had I know how it is made.  But it's actually surprisingly tasty.  As an added bonus, both Logan and Chloé have taken to occasionally eating it. At first, we had to wash the sauce off, but now they'll even sometimes eat it with the sauce.  As long as we pick out all of the mushrooms beforehand.  Wouldn't want to accidentally eat a vegetable... ;) 

The recipe below is for a relatively big batch because I wanted to be able to put some into the freezer.  But you can easily half the recipe, if you just want to make enough for a couple of meals.

Now, I don't actually like mustard. So don't let the inclusion of mustard on the ingredients list turn you away if you're not a fan of mustard.  This doesn't actually taste like either mustard or ketchup. Just a little tangy.
 
2 onions, chopped
2 kg. chicken, cubed
just less than 1 1/2 C ketchup
2/3 C mustard (we used Dijon, but you can use anything)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 packages of fresh mushrooms or 4 cans of mushrooms
cream (optional)


1.  Cook the onions in a pot in a little bit of olive oil for a few minutes, until translucent.


2.  Add the chicken to the pot and cook until the chicken is cooked and the juice that the chicken has rendered has reduced completely.  


3.  Add the ketchup, mustard, salt and mushrooms.  Continue to cook for 20-30 minutes, long enough for the chicken to become tender.


 

4.  Optionally, you can add some cream at the end of cooking.

In Brazil, they serve this with something equivalent to hickory sticks and rice.  Even if I could eat gluten, serving this with hickory sticks just sounds too weird for me.  I served it with quinoa and veggies ;)

Makes 8-10 servings.

No comments: