Monday, December 5, 2011

Raisin Breakfast Bars

This recipe comes from Canadian Living's Best Muffins & More, which I am shocked to see that you can still find on Chapters' website, as it was published in 1994.  My copy has "To Sleepy Owl from 2nd Bradford Brownies" written on the inside of it from back in the days when I used to volunteer with Brownies.  And used to live in Bradford.  And that was ages ago.  My Brownies are not getting married and having their own babies.  That's how old I am. 

I was flipping through this for some new muffin recipes.  Logan is more than slightly addicted to muffins.  He stands at the bottom of fridge (I keep the muffins in a Tupperware on top of the fridge) shouting "uffi", "uffi" incessantly until someone finally appeases him with some muffin.  And the kid doesn't quite understand that sometimes that Tupperware is up there even when there is nothing in it to savour.  And then begin the fits... If terrible twos begin at 18 months, does that mean they should be over by 2????  That is my question (prayer) of the month.  

I've been trying to keep muffins in the house as regularly as possible, since the little guy loves them so much.  But I'm getting a little sick of always making the same recipes.  So I came across this recipe that sounded not only delicious, but also super healthy, since yogurt replaces a lot of the fat in the recipe.  They're really just muffins, but baked as a bar instead.  Their flavour is actually quite similar to my mom's recipe for bran muffins - which is fantastic, and highly recommended.  But it makes fewer, which is good for when you're not necessarily feeding a crowd or looking to fill your freezer.  Maybe if Logan loves muffins as much as he does now when he's 16, I'll be making my mom's recipe (which makes 60) on a weekly basis.  But these are a nice substitute for days when I want something that makes a smaller batch.


2 C raisins
1 C whole-wheat flour
1 C All-Bran cereal
2/3 C packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 C)
1/2 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 C plain yogurt
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbsp. coarsely grated orange rind (I omitted this, as I'm not a fan of orange in baked goods)

1.  In large bowl, combine raisins, whole-wheat flour, cereal, sugar, all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt.  Whisk together eggs, yogurt, oil, vanilla and orange rind;  pour over dry ingredients.  Stir together just until moistened.

2.  Pour into greased 9-inch square cake pan.  Bake in 350 degree Farenheit oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean and cake has come away from sides of pan.  Let cool on rack; cut into bars.  

Makes 16 bars.

No comments: