Monday, December 19, 2011

Salted Chocolate-Covered Caramels

I became fixated on making these (despite having a sick son and no time these days), after seeing a picture of them that Karen had posted on facebook.  Despite my better judgment, knowing that I should be cleaning the house in any spare time I can manage, I ran out to the  Bulk Barn yesterday afternoon to pick myself up some caramels.  I then sat in front of the tv, unwrapping caramels, for the better part of half an hour, while Logan played with some wrapped caramels and a bowl.  So easy to keep little guys entertained.  He kept stealing caramels out of my bag, as I stole them out of his bowl to unwrap, without him ever being the wiser.


This recipe comes from the Kraft What's Cooking Festive 2011 magazine

 

1 package (269g) caramels
5 squares Bakers premium 70% cacao dark chocolate, melted
1 tbsp. sea salt 
toothpicks 


I do like Bakers' 70% dark chocolate, but I used some 70% dark chocolate that we had brought back from France with us. I also used fleur de sel instead of sea salt, as it is a better quality salt (also brought back with us from France).

1.  Insert toothpick into 1 caramel; dip in chocolate.  Shake gently to remove excess chocolate.  Place on wax paper-covered baking sheet.  Remove toothpick.  Repeat with remaining caramels.

2.  Sprinkle immediately with salt.  Let stand until chocolate is firm (or to firm up chocolate more quickly, refrigerate until firm).

Makes approximately 32 caramels.

I made a huge batch of these, packing them away to go with a gift certificate that I've picked up for Logan's two daycare providers to thank them for the love they've given Logan over the past 6 months.

We used the leftover melted chocolate to make homemade hot chocolate.  We just stirred some of it into some milk that we'd heated in the microwave.  We usually drink 1% or skim milk at home, but I always keep a small carton of 2% on hand for hot chocolate in the winter. Lower fat milk just doesn't seem to cut it.

1 comment:

Madeleine said...

These look gorgeous and delicious!