Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Chickpeas in Curried Coconut Broth

This recipes comes from the cookbook Cooking Light Slow Cooker Cookbook, which I can't find anywhere on Chapters to put a link to. It may be one of those special editions that comes out on the magazine from time to time. In any case, I love this recipe and we almost always have some of this in our freezer for a meal in a pinch.

  

2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 C chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (19 oz.) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk (I use light)
1 tbsp. curry powder
2 tbsp. chopped pickled jalapeno pepper
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro




 












1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Place onion mixture, chickpeas and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a 3 1/2 quart electric slow cooker; stir well. Cover with lid; cook on low heat setting for 6 to 8 hours. Stir in cilantro. Serve over brown rice.

Makes 8 servings.

I typically leave the jalapeno peppers out of this, only because I don't usually have any on hand. I put them in last night, without really measuring out the 2 tbsp. and it was much too hot for even my husband, who loves spicy food. I left the fresh cilantro out yesterday, as I forgot to pick it up at the grocery story, but it really does add a lot of flavour to the recipe and I almost never leave it out (and don't recommend doing so).