Friday, January 15, 2010

Muffins that Taste Like Donuts

We had a big discussion about the title of this recipe over the holidays as were were discussing potentially making them when all of my siblings were down. We came to the conclusion that it's because these muffins really do taste like donuts - though perhaps not quite as greasy. This is one of my mom's recipes and though it's not one that I remember her making all the time, all of us kids still love it. I don't make it often myself either, as it's not the healthiest of my muffin recipes, but it's a must on any family camping trip we do. I often triple the recipe before going camping, as these disappear in a flash.

1 3/4 C flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 C oil
3/4 C sugar (first amount)
1 egg
3/4 C milk
1/2 C melted butter
3/4 C white sugar (second amount)
1 tsp. cinnamon




1. Combine thoroughly oil, sugar, egg and milk. Add in flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon and stir to combine.

2. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 20 to 25 minutes.

3. Shake muffins out immediately and while hot, dip in melted butter, then in sugar and cinnamon mixture (mixed together). (I tend to not take them out immediately, as I find that they fall apart if I do so.)

**For a delicious variation, fill tins 1/2 full of batter, put 1 tsp. jam on top and top with the rest of the batter.

I always put the jam in, as it's part of what makes them so darned good. You can use any kind of jam. Lately I've been using some black currant jam that I made a few years back, as it's way too bitter to actually eat on toast. But it's perfect in these muffins, as their sweetness offsets the bitterness of the jam. Though I tend to put a bit more than a tsp. of jam per muffin, be sure not to put in too much or to get the jam too close to the edge of the batter. Otherwise, the muffins won't hold together when cooked.

This recipe makes approximately 10-12 muffins.

No comments: