Thursday, March 4, 2010

Curried Squash and Apple Soup

My sister gave me this recipe, which comes from her husband's mom. It's a bit too spicy for me now that I'm pregnant - I had the joy of experiencing heartburn for the first time in my life after having this soup. But is quite tasty nonetheless. I'll just wait until baby is born to make it again, or will adjust the curry powder a bit. That being said, it really didn't seem to be super spicy when eating it.

I forgot to take a picture of this, but really, all soups look the same, so you can use your imagination.

4 tbsp. butter
2 medium onions, chopped
3 tsp. curry powder
2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut in one-inch dice
3 apples, peeled, cored, roughly chopped
6 C chicken broth

1. Heat butter over medium heat in large soup pot. Sauté onions until soft. Stir in curry powder. Cook 2-3 minutes.

2. Add squash, apples and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, partially covered, until squash is tender, about 45 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

3. Use a food mill or purée in a food processor. Serve with freshly ground black pepper and swirl a dollop of yogurt through, if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: