Friday, August 13, 2010

Blueberry Oatmeal Squares

This is my new favourite dessert. Delicious. It's kind of like date squares, but with cooked blueberries in place of the dates. I can't remember where I got the recipe from, as I also made it once last summer, but I don't remember it being as good as this (or I probably would have made it more!). I decided that I needed some sweet junk around the house last week to ease the sweet notes of a screaming, fussy baby. So although I got little else done last week, I made a point of making time to make dessert. We just finished the last pieces this evening and I'm already having to restrain myself from making a second batch, I loved it that much. I think that next year I may also try it with blackberries in place of the blueberries, just for a change, as I love it with the blueberries.

To make it again, I would cut back the sugar in the topping and would probably also cut the butter back some and melt it instead, so that it will go further. But make it the way the recipe says if you're making it for company, as I'm sure the butter is part of what makes it so tasty.

2 1/2 C rolled oats (not instant)
1 1/4 C flour (I used whole-wheat, as I almost always do)
1 C packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C cold butter, cubed

Filling:
3 C fresh blueberries
1/2 C sugar
1/3 C orange juice
4 tsp. cornstarch



 













1. For the filling, in a saucepan, bring blueberries, sugar and orange juice to boil; reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Whisk cornstarch with 2 tbsp. water; whisk into blueberries and boil, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute. Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until cooled; about 1 hour. 

  


  















2. In a large bowl, whisk together oats, flour, sugar, orange rind and salt; with pastry blender, cut in butter until in coarse crumbs. Press half into 8-inch square parchment paper-lined metal cake pan; spread with blueberry filling. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture, pressing lightly.

3. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit approximately 45 minutes. Let cool before cutting into squares.

Makes 24 squares.

193 calories per square.

No comments: