Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Blueberry Purée

I was at the library the other day and randomly came across the book Easy Gourmet Baby Food. Randomly, because I was looking for travel guides. But you know me... who could pass up getting a book with such a title?? And I love it already and am going to run out to buy my own copy despite my 'no more buying cookbooks' rule. I mean, really... that doesn't include cookbooks for kids food, does it?

One of the reasons this cookbook is so great (other than the appetizing recipes) is that there are tips for how to use many of the recipes in adult meals as well.

So in flipping through the appetizing recipes, such as roasted banana purée, cauliflower and chickpea chowder, red lentil and apple, grilled chicken and avocado, papaya and coconut milk purée, mini sweet potato muffins with maple syrup glaze... where do I stop??? Wait, what was I saying... yes, in flipping through the recipes, I decided to start making some baby food to take advantage of the cheap (and fresh) fruit and vegetables while they're still in season. So here's my first go at baby food. Still simple, since it'll be a bit before Logan can eat anything truly interesting.

I figure that if I start making something once or twice a week and popping it in the freezer (haha, that poor freezer!), that I'll have a huge stash of food put away for busier days when he's running around everywhere and making me weary! And I now have all the time in the world, since as of today, with Logan having started his reflux medication, he will now (mark my words) SLEEP EVEN WHEN HE'S NOT IN MY ARMS!!! Woot woot... Such a simple solution!! Thank goodness for Evelyne.

Blueberry Purée

2 C fresh or frozen blueberries
1 1/2 C water

1. In a saucepan, combine blueberries and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil until berries are splitting in half, about 10 minutes.

2. Transfer to a blender and purée until smooth. Let cool until warm to the touch, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.

The purée looks thin while warm, but will thicken as it cools.

Makes about 1 cup.

Not just for babies: Cut a 6-inch round of Brie in half horizontally and spread with about 2 tbsp. of this purée. Wrap tightly in foil and bake in a 300 degree Farenheit oven until soft, about 15 minutes.

Whatever, I'll ignore that last recommendation and keep it in the deep freeze longer. And I just froze it in ice cube containers. Once frozen, I'll pop them into a ziploc bag and move on to the next batch.

No comments: