Friday, April 22, 2011

Cucumber Mango Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing

This is another wonderful salad from Brandi's great salad cookbook... that I do not know the name of, but need to buy so that I don't have to constantly bug her to give me her salad recipes every time I eat over there :)

The original recipe calls for macadamia nuts (I'm drooling writing this, thinking of our trip to Hawaii and the delicious macadamia nuts we ate there...). Brandi substituted toasted sunflower seeds, so I followed suit since I can't eat nuts right now. Though I did an even lazier version and didn't even bother toasting them (but I'm sure that makes it even better). I can't wait to try it with macadamia nuts as soon as I'm done breastfeeding though, as I think that combination sounds fantastic. I actually forgot to put the sunflower seeds in the second time I made it, so you won't see any in my picture, but they do make it better. I also substituted 1 tbsp. sesame oil and 1 tbsp. canola oil for the peanut oil, since I didn't have any. And as with all recipes calling for fresh coriander -
don't leave it out!!

 

1 English cucumber (peel on), thinly sliced
1 cup of mango, chopped (Brandi has also used thawed frozen mango chunks and this works well - I happened to have a bunch of ripe mangoes on hand both times I've made it)
1/2 C macadamia nuts, toasted and finely chopped (or toasted sunflower seeds)


Dressing: 
 2 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. peanut (or canola) oil
1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro

1 tbsp. sweet chili sauce (I used chili garlic sauce because that's what I had in my fridge)
1/2 tsp. dried crushed chilis
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix all dressing ingredients in a jar. Toss dressing into above cucumber, mango and nut mixture.

No comments: