Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mango Lassi

We went out for India this weekend, as I all of a sudden really wanted some butter chicken. Mmm... We went to Bombay Choupati on the corner of Gouin and Sources. I'd heard for years that the food here was excellent, but we had never gotten around to trying it. Thank goodness we finally did, as this is now probably my favourite spot for Indian in the West Island. It's a tiny, unassuming restaurant in a random plaza at the end of Sources, but the food is homemade and delicious. Even Logan loved the curried potatoes, butter chicken and goat vindaloo (and this of a baby who spits out about half of what we give him on a daily basis). I joked with Jerome that maybe we just need to eat out every day to get him to eat more :)

In any case, I had a mango lassi while I was there and found it a bit too sweet for my tastes. Which left me wanting another, less sweet, one. So I went through my only Indian cookbook, scouring it for recipes I could make. And concluded that most of them are too labour intensive for these days. Maybe once Logan is in daycare?? But the mango lassi was simple and I happened to have everything I needed, so I made one for breakfast this morning. I'm sure it's not meant as a breakfast drink, but I figure it's pretty much like a smoothie, so why not? Here's my recipe, which I got from Heartsmart Flavours of India.




1 1/2 C plain yogurt
1/2 C diced ripe mango
1 1/2 C ice cubes
2 tbsp. sugar (I used Splenda)

Blend and enjoy.

Makes 4 servings.

I started by putting in 1 C of mango, but still found that it didn't have as much mango flavour as I wanted, so I threw in another cup. This took about 2 of the bigger types mangoes.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I agree - just like a smoothie, drink it for breakfast!