Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Arugula with Bacon and Thin Spaghetti

These days, time is at a premium. Logan is in daycare pretty much every other day. And I feel like I spend every day that he is in daycare rushing around trying to clean my house, do dishes, laundry, etc. and do any cooking or baking I want to get done. I try to force myself to squeeze in a good nap every day that he's in daycare, even if I'd really rather be whipping up something yummy. So that really only leaves a few short hours without him before I find myself racing back to the daycare to pick him up. And all of that to have the majority of my hard work torn apart again the minute he walks in the door...

Despite being squeezed for time these days, I still love to cook/bake and to be able to keep eating homemade meals all of the time. So as a compromise, these days, I've been making things that are pretty quick and easy.  I was looking for a quick, new recipe to try this week and stumbled upon this. It comes from from The Joy of Healthy Pasta cookbook.  It really did take only a few minutes to whip up and made my whole kitchen smell all garlicky (probably my breath too!).  I realized at the last minute that there wasn't enough protein in this for my husband, who is diabetic, so I threw in two small chopped chicken breasts, which I cooked before adding.  

1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 thin slices bacon, finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 1/2 C low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 lb. thin spaghetti (I used whole-wheat)
2 C finely chopped arugula (1 bunch)
4 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese


1.  Heat oil in a large skillet and sauté bacon until it is almost crisp.  Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook 1 minute longer.

2.  Add the broth, bring to a boil, and reduce by one third, about 5 minutes.

3.  Cook the pasta according to package directions.  Drain and add it to the skillet.  Toss well over medium heat.

4.  Add the chopped arugula and toss well.  Transfer the pasta to a bowl or a platter, add the cheese, and serve right away.

Makes 4 servings (we got 5).

No comments: