Monday, January 21, 2013

Mom's Lasagna

Back almost a year ago when I wrote this post on my childhood faves, I was surprised to realize that I had yet to blog my mom's fantastic recipe for lasagna.  Her lasagna is absolutely fantastic.  Yes, I love all of her other delicious recipes that I included in my childhood faves.  But her lasagna is really something special.  One of the best I've ever had.  

But I could be biased.  

After all, it is my mom's recipe. 

However... 

This is a little complicated, but... my sister's boyfriend's sister (you still following me?) said that this is the best lasagna she's ever tried.  I wish I could tell you she is Italian, but she's UkrainianBut it's gotta still count for something, no?

All that to say that I think you should make this if you like lasagna. 


I still really love my roasted vegetarian lasagna too.  But sometimes, you just need a traditional beef lasagna.

I made this back when we were gluten, but not dairy free yet (I know!!!!  My blogging delay is a bit ridiculous these days!).  I now make a dairy-free version, using this butternut cashew "cheese" sauce from Oh She Glows instead of the cottage cheese mixture and Daiya instead of the cheese.  I can't say that it's as delicious as my mom's version, but I consider it to be not too bad, given that it's both gluten and dairy-free.
 
This recipe freezes well and is great to pull out as a quick defrosted meal, accompanied by a salad, such as this to-die-for ceasar salad or this wonderful cranberry avocado salad.
 
8-10 lasagna noodles
2 tbsp. canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. parsley
1/2 tsp. basil or rosemary
2 6oz. cans of tomato paste
1 1/2 C hot water
2 eggs, beaten
1 pint cottage cheese (small container)
1/2 lb. grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 C grated parmesan cheese

1.  Heat oil in a skillet.  Cook garlic and onion until soft.  Add beef and seasoning and cook until crumbly.  Add tomato paste and water and cook 10-15 minutes on low. 







2.  In a separate bowl, blend beaten eggs with cottage cheese.   

 

 3.  Cook noodles according to package directions.


4.  In a large dish, spoon a thin layer of meat sauce, 1/2 of the noodles, all of the cottage cheese mixture and 1/2 of the grated mozzarella.  Repeat with remaining sauce, noodles and mozzarella.  Sprinkle with parmesan.








5.  Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for approximately one hour.

 

Difficulty level:  moderate 

For a gluten-free version, use rice noodles.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

It's the best with homemade pasta and fresh mozzarella.... oh, wishing I could make this!

Food for Thought Linds said...

yes, good point indeed. That's actually the way I used to make it pre-kids. With homemade spelt pasta even! How can I have forgotten that already??

Ashley said...

Hahahaha! I was just going to write that I wonder if it would be better with homemade gf pasta... if we had the time to try it...