Sunday, February 7, 2010

Date and Maple Scones

I printed this recipe off of the internet quite awhile back but have only gotten around to making it over the past few weeks. I had been craving scones, oddly enough, as I probably haven't had a scone in the past 5 years. But I wanted one badly enough that I stopped at a grocery store to get one on my way to a client's house, knowing that it'd make me late for my appointment... So I figured that maybe I should make my own. This recipe is originally from the November 1996 copy of Cooking Light.

2 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 C chilled stick margarine, cut into small pieces (I used butter)
1/2 C chopped pitted dates
1/2 C 1% low-fat milk (I used soy milk)
3 tbsp. maple syrup



1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.

2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add dates; toss well. Come milk and syrup. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 4 or 5 times. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut into 12 wedges, cutting into, but not through, dough.

4. Bake at 400 degrees Farenheit for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.

Makes 1 dozen scones.

176 calories
5.5g of fat

1 comment:

JS Aprile said...

I have a printed version of this that is very tattered so I searched for it online and found your page. Thank you for printing it! I have made it for Christmas breakfast nearly every year for 27 years.