Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pender Harbour Bars

Katie gave me this recipe for homemade granola bars a few years back when we were visiting her in Vancouver. They've been a favourite ever since. I don't think that I've ever taken them to someone's house without being asked for the recipe. I'll often take these along with us on longer hikes or when we go snowshoeing, as they're energy-packed and travel well.

I've toyed with modifying the recipe somewhat and it turns out fairly well. I've used 1/2 of the required amount of brown sugar, used brown rice syrup instead of corn syrup and/or have decreased the amount of corn syrup to 1/4 C and also decreased the melted butter to 1/4 C. However, I always make the regular recipe when taking these to someone's house, as they are better when it's not modified.

3 C rolled oats
1 C chocolate chips
1/2 C shredded coconut
1/2 C sunflower seeds
1/2 C raisins, dates or combination
1/3 C wheat germ
1/4 C slivered almonds
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
3/4 C brown sugar
2/3 C peanut butter
1/2 C corn syrup
1/2 C melted butter
1 tbsp. vanilla



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.

2. In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients. Combine the next 5 ingredients and mix thoroughly into the first mixture.

3. Press into a 9 x 13 inch pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Be sure to let them cool completely before cutting, or they tend to fall apart.

Makes 24 large bars.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha, great minds think alike! I hadn't made these in ages because I would eat the whole pan before I even cut them, but they are now my number 1 pregnancy hunger-stopper!

Food for Thought Linds said...

I hadn't made these in ages either. But they're so good!

Lisa said...

does anyone know where these orginated. I'm trying to obtain nutritional info on the bars.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

I first saw this recipe in 1990 in the cookbook More Fast & Fantastic for North Shore Family Services fundraiser.