Monday, April 5, 2010

Blueberry Lemon Loaf and Lemon Curd

Blueberry Lemon Loaf

This recipe originally comes from Andrea Baynton. Mom made it at my shower and a few people asked for the recipe, so I thought I'd stick it up on my blog. Though mom's bread seemed to have many more blueberries in it than mine did, so I suspect that she put in more than the recipe called for (as I should have!).

1/3 C melted margarine
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 C milk
1 C sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. grated lemon peel
3 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C fresh or frozen blueberries
2 eggs




1. Beat the margarine, sugar, lemon juice and eggs until smooth.

2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into egg mixture alternately with the milk. Fold in lemon peel and blueberries.

3. Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350 degrees Farenheit for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool on rack.

4. Optional: squeeze the lemon juice from lemons used after getting the lemon peel over the top of the loaf (yum!).

I also took out a jar of some lemon curd that I had made and canned about a year ago, as I thought it would go well with this bread. The stuff is absolutely delicious, but because my husband doesn't really like lemons, I find that it goes to waste whenever I open a jar, as I usually have it once or twice and then it goes bad before I get back into it again. I've started freezing some of the leftovers in smaller portions, but probably won't make it again since it doesn't get eaten enough. But if you love lemons, this is a great recipe for a special treat (and makes a nice gift).

Lemon Curd

1/2 C unsalted light butter
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C fresh lemon juice (definitely use fresh for this recipe)
3 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
pinch of salt
6 large egg yolks




1.
Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat.

2.
Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the sugar, lemon juice, zest and salt. Whisk in the yolks until smooth.

3.
Cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it thickens and leaves a path on the back of a wooden spoon when a finger is drawn across it; do not allow the mixture to boil.

4. Let cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve (will keep for a month in the refrigerator and about 3 months in the freezer).


Makes about 1 1/2 C.

I can't quite remember how I processed this for canning, but if you search on the internet how to process acidic spreads, I'm sure you can find directions.


No comments: