I made this recipe a couple of weeks ago when I was invited to spend some time with Cynthia and her kids. Cynthia can't eat dairy, so I dug through my recipes to find a treat that I could bring over for the kids that she could also eat. The recipe below calls for shortening. I would normally replace it with butter, but by using shortening instead, Cynthia was also able to enjoy a couple of cookies after lunch. This recipe has quite a bit of sugar, which could probably be cut down. I didn't want to try it when taking it to a friend's house though, just in case ;)
3/4 C shortening
1 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C white sugar
1/4 C water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 C raisins
1 C quick-cooking oats
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
2. Mix shortening, sugars, egg, water and vanilla.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients.
4. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonful onto baking sheet.
5. Bake 12-15 minutes. Immediately remove from baking sheet.