Thursday, January 19, 2012

Spinach Dip

Gotta hate these kind of days. It is 4:45 am right now.  And I am blogging... having been up since about 4 am already.  Yesterday too.  And I knew last night as I ran around the house until 11pm getting random things done, that I would regret not having gone to bed at 9 pm with Chloé, right after zumba.  And I realize now that I was right.

Why did I chose a clean - well, let's just say cleaner, house, since the word clean certainly could not be used right at this moment to describe my house - over sleep?  You'd think I'd have learned my lesson, with this being my second baby and all.  But the temptation of *finally* not having a baby in my arms until we all went to sleep was just too tempting.

Wishing my dishes were dirty right now and my kitchen floor was unswept and that I had two hours more sleep under my belt to attack the day, right about now...

I suspect that Logan's ear infection isn't quite healed, yet again, as this is what happened the last two times.  The only symptom being him waking up at ungodly hours.  I'm thankful that at least Chloé is still asleep.

So after cuddling a bit with Logan to try to get him back to sleep (we let him cry it out for an hour last night before going to get him and no go), I decided to come down to the computer to book a doctor's appointment for him.  So here we are, blogging, with him on my lap, not quite drowsy enough to go back to sleep, but too tired to do anything independently. 

On the bright side of things, at least we have electricity.  Since it was out last evening until about when we went to bed.  And at least I'll have lots of time to get ready to leave for my conference this morning.  I thought today would be a mad dash kinda morning, since we need to be out of the house by 7am.  But look at that.  It's only 5am, I have already blogged, and still have a full two hours to get ready!!

I made this recipe over the holidays to take over to a friend's house.  Well, to be honest, I had originally bought the ingredients to take to the Christmas potluck of that cake decorating club I had mentioned.  But then I had to skip that meeting, as it turned out to also be the evening of Jérôme's departmental Christmas party.

In any event, this recipe is super fast to whip up and always a hit.  Perfect for potlucks and the like.  I really only make it when we are entertaining.

1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry  
1 package Knorr vegetable soup mix
1 container (500 mL/2 C) sour cream
1 C mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1 can (8 oz.) water chestnuts, chopped (optional) (I find these add nice crunch, and wouldn't omit them)
3 green onions, chopped
pumpernickel bread, chopped into chunks 


1.  Stir soup mix, sour cream and mayonnaise until blended.

2.  Stir in spinach, water chestnuts and green onions.

3.  Cover and chill 2 hours (but best if made the day before).  Stir before serving.

4.  Serve with pumpernickel bread.  This looks nice if you hollow out the pumpernickel and serve the dip inside the bread, using out the inside part as your chunks of bread to serve it with.

Makes about 4 cups.

No comments: