Monday, September 3, 2012

Healthy Date Squares

My sister recently asked me to e-mail her my date square recipe.  And by recently, I mean maybe 3-4 weeks ago.  And I still haven't done it.  I somehow found the time to actually make a batch myself (eat them) and blog it, but have yet found the time to e-mail her the recipe.  Funny how that works sometimes, eh?

So here ya go Kris ;)

I've adapted the original recipe ever so slightly to make them both dairy and gluten-free (see bottom of post).  However, I'll post the recipe as is too so that all of you who don't have to be on this crazy diet can enjoy the real thing.

1 1/2 C all-purpose flour (I used to use whole-wheat)
1 1/2 C rolled oats
approximately 1/4 C hemp seed
1 C lightly packed brown sugar (I find 1/2 C is enough for the regular version; I used 3/4 C in the gluten-free version to hide the taste of the gf flour mixture)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 C butter or margarine (I usually use a bit less)

Date filling:
1 lb. dates, chopped (about 4 cups)
1 1/2 C water
2 tbsp. lemon juice


1.  In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda.  


2.  Cut in butter with pastry blender or in food processor until mixture is crumbly.  

 
3.  Press half of the crumb mixture into nonstick or lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.  (I made mine in an 8-inch square pan - I prefer to eat a smaller square with lots of filling).


4.  Date filling:  In a covered saucepan over low heat, cook dates and water for about 15 minutes or until thickened and smooth, stirring occasionally.  (You may need to add extra water while cooking if mixture becomes too thick).  Stir in lemon juice.  Spread over crumb layer; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.  


5.  Bake in preheated 350 degree Farenheit oven for about 35 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cut into bars.

 

Makes 42 bars if made in 13x9 inch pan.


For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free certified oats and Bob Red's Mill all-purpose gluten-free flour instead of regular flour.

For a dairy-free version, use Earth Balance spread instead of butter.

For a dairy-free, soy-free version, use coconut butter or Earth Balance's soy free spread instead of butter.

Difficulty level: easy to moderate

Adapted from Cook Great Food.
 

1 comment:

Camille said...

yummy!!