Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Mexican-Style Chicken with Cilantro and Lemon

As fall knocks on our door, my kitchen is abustle with all sorts of freezer-friendly dishes and treats.  Chloé has been in full-time daycare for two weeks now, as I prepare my return to work.  The countdown is on:  26 days and 16 appointments left until I officially return to work...

I have been taking advantage of my free time this week to stock our freezer full of dairy-free and gluten-free food, now that we're on this new diet.  In passing, we gave up on our freezer challenge.  With all of our recent therapy costs, we decided that it was best to not get into any more renovations just now.  Which means that I can cook to my heart's delight!!

Earlier this week, I whipped up some delicious peanut butter cookies (and threw in some chopped peanuts this time to boot!), a vegan mac and cheese, these gf peach muffins, a new smoothie and pudding recipe, plus another twist on the banana soft serve - all of which I will post shortly.


Tomorrow's plans include a lasagna, red lentil and carrot soup with coconut milk, another batch of my delicious new super-powered granola bars (yes! we've eaten all of them AGAIN!), gf biscuits to go with the soup, a gf apple tart and... if I still have time... a batch of South American black bean soup.  Whew... just typing this out exhausts me.  But it'll be nice to have meals and treats in the freezer when I'm working and too busy to make anything.

I also made a batch of this Mexican chicken earlier this week.  Fall has gotten me back into pulling out my beloved slow cooker.  Beloved because most recipes are super quick and delicious.  And there's nothing better than coming home to a delicious smelling house when you've been out all day.


1/4 C raw pumpkin seeds
2 tsp. cumin seeds (I just used ground cumin and it worked fine)
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 lbs. chicken pieces, skin on breasts, removed from legs and thighs
2 onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. crushed black peppercorn
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1 to 2 serrano chilies, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 C cilantro leaves (you can use the stems here too)
1 tbsp. lemon zest
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 C condensed chicken broth (undiluted)
finely chopped cilantro and green onion
lemon zest

1.  In a skillet, over medium-high heat, toast pumpkin and cumin seeds, until pumpkin seeds are popping and cumin has released its flavour.  Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. 


2.  In the same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and brown in batches.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker stoneware.  Reduce heat to medium.  (Yeah... I skipped this step... no time...!).

3.  Add onions to pan and cook, stirring until softened.  Add garlic, tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, chili pepper, cinnamon and cilantro and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.  Transfer contents of pan to a food processor.  Add lemon zest and juice, chicken broth, pumpkin and cumin seeds and process until smooth.





4.  Pour sauce over chicken and cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.  When ready to serve, garnish with cilantro, green onion and lemon zest.




Serves 4 to 6.

Difficulty level: moderate  


Taken from: The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes

11 comments:

Natalie said...

OMG that looks good!!

Kristy said...

I love using the slow cooker!

Wendy said...

Waaaaaaaooo

Sylvia said...

oh yum looks delicious :)

Tanith said...

Im going to try this tonight! Thanks Lindsay!

Tanith said...

Ok, tomorrow night. Mister is making sushi tonight. Spoiled me. Ha.

Tanith said...

Lindsay , my Mister LOVED this recipe. he's a sticker for left overs, but he gobble this up the next day like a hungry man. Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try out some of your other ones too x

Food for Thought Linds said...

Great, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! I actually need to make another batch to stuff into my freezer for busy nights.

Tanith said...

Thats something I need to learn how to do. I don't use the freezer for much, other than storing food that needs to be prepared.. He's also not a big fan of frozen food either, so picky!

Food for Thought Linds said...

I've started a blog post on tips for freezing. Who knows when I'll get it done though. I use our deep freeze so much that it's often overflowing! I'm not a fan of store-bought frozen food, but I find that with a lot of homemade meals, you often can't tell things are reheated. Though maybe I'm just not picky enough! I've joked with my husband that we need one deep freeze for the foods before they're cooked and another for cooked meals!

Unknown said...


.You have made this perfectly..Will surely give it a try..Thanks a lot for this recipe. it tastes yummy too!
kati roll online order