Sunday, July 17, 2011

Broccoli Salad

5:30 yesterday morning and I can hear Logan's wailing rousing me to awareness... can't babies learn that anything before 6am (well heck, 7am!) is just too darned early???  It was 4:10 this morning...  I'm finding that since I've started back to work and he's in daycare, the early mornings are really getting to me.  Probably since I don't really get a chance to nap anymore, like I used to do with him every day.  At least when he was a newborn and then when I got pregnant again.  I can't wait until he is old enough to use my friend's technique of teaching him a 6 and showing him that he can't get out of bed until he sees a 6 on his clock. I am counting the days... months... oh God... please not years....

I guess one of the advantages of early mornings that wouldn't occur without a baby is that when your family is coming down for the weekend, you've had time to feed and dress your son, marinate the meat, make all of the salads and dessert and clean your kitchen... and all of this before it is even 8am.  How did I ever get things done before when I would sleep until 9 and then head to the gym until noon??  ;)

Anyhow, I've been making all sorts of recipes in the last little while, since we've been with friends and family lots on the weekends, enjoying the beautiful weather of summer. I just haven't yet had a chance to type them all up and post them.  But they will get here... Here's one to start you off though.

I decided to mostly make cold salads to go with our meals this weekend so that I didn't have the headache of trying to prepare dinner while at the same time entertaining and putting our little guy to bed. I haven't made this salad in quite awhile, but it's a nice summer salad.

1 bunch of broccoli (3 C)
1/2 C chopped red onion
1/4 C sunflower seeds
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C feta cheese or cottage cheese (I use light feta)

Dressing:
1/2 C plain yogurt
1/4 C mayonnaise (I use light)
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste


Mix together dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.  Chill and enjoy.

No comments: