Sunday, December 13, 2009

Feta Spinach Pie with Whole Wheat Crust

I had this awhile back for lunch at Heather's house and it was fantastic. It's quick to make and makes a nice meal with a salad.

1 frozen pie shell
1/3 pkg. drained frozen spinach
3 eggs
1/2 C milk (I often use soy milk)
1/2 tbsp. crushed garlic
pepper to taste
1 C feta or ricotta (I've only ever made it with light feta)
1/3 C parmesan




Mix everything together and pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 38 minutes.

I often make my own whole-wheat crust with a recipe that came with my Cuisinart food processor.

Basic Pastry

1 1/2 C flour (I substitute whole-wheat)
1/2 C very cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C ice water

Use metal blade to process flour, butter and salt until mixture is like coarse meal, about 8 seconds. Add ice water and pulse until dough begins to clump together. Do not let it form a ball. Put dough in a plastic food storage bag. Work through bag to press dough together into a ball, then a flat disc.

Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour before rolling it out.

3 comments:

Rohanna said...

this was amazing. Scott really impressed my family with it, holy crap it tasted good.

Kris said...

So now I'm all curious after reading Ashley's comments ... can I make it without a crust??

Food for Thought Linds said...

Yup, I don't see what not. I've also seen rice crusts. You could search on google, because that'd give you a gluten-free version.