Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream

As summer is quickly nearing to an end, I realize I should get around to publishing the remainder of my summer recipes.  Which, in fact, should have been posted back when summer was in full swing and everyone would be wanting to make them.  But that's just not life with two little ones...

I had mentioned here that I had gotten an eensy bit excited about my ice cream maker this summer.  I hunted down this recipe after my sister mentioned how much she was loving some of the store-bought coconut milk ice creams she was eating, after having started a dairy-free diet.  It sounded delicious, so I hunted down and made this recipe well before we started our own dairy-free diet.

I got this recipe from the blog Cheeseslave. It's not terribly time consuming to make and the outcome is delicious homemade ice cream with little effort.  

Don't substitute low-fat coconut milk for the regular stuff, as it will make the texture of the ice cream more icy instead of creamy.

2-3 tbsp. cocoa powder
2 C full fat canned coconut milk 
pinch of salt
1/4 C honey or stevia to taste
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
4 egg yolks

1.  Add coconut milk and cocoa powder to medium saucepan on low heat and whisk to combine.  




2.  Stir in the sea salt, honey (or stevia) and vanilla extract, and whisk until honey is incorporated.  Remove from heat.  (Note: if you are using stevia, you don't need to heat it).


3.  Whisk in the egg yolks.

4.  Chill this mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.  (You can skip this step if you're not heating it).


5.  Follow the manufacturer's instructions of your ice cream maker.  In 30-45 minutes you will have ice cream! 

 


If you prefer a bit of a harder texture, place the ice cream in the freezer for a minimum of two hours to harden - that is, if you can wait that long to try it (we couldn't!!).
 


Difficulty level: easy

3 comments:

Camille said...

Summer is never over!!

Jocelyne said...

:O i want some

Silvia said...

oh yum...me too please :)