Monday, August 6, 2012

Homemade Donuts, Just Like Grandma Used to Make (for Real!)

We made these when Camille was recently here visiting.  

I'm not a huge fan of donuts.  It's not that I actually don't like them.  Or won't eat them.  Just more that there are other things I would rather eat. 

Camille, on the other hand, quite loves them.  Ya see, they don't really have donuts in France.  What with the delicious croissants, pains au chocolat and pains aux raisins and the like.  How could a donut chain ever be profitable?  At least, that's my humble opinion ;)


But I guess you always want what you can't have.  And French people can't really have donuts all that much.  

Camille still regularly laughingly reminds us of her having added 30 lbs. to her tiny frame during her 3 month stay with us in Canada, back when we were 15.  Not that we noticed it, but when she told us, we couldn't quite figure it out.  Until she admitted that she stopped by the donut store on her way home from school.  Every.single.day!!!! 

No worries... she lost it all as soon as she got back home and was no longer able to find donuts ;)

When she came to visit us after Logan's birth in 2010, she stashed a dozen into her suitcase, just for good measure.


They apparently arrived in France just fine - though I'm not sure that she didn't finish them all off on the plane!

And we may or may not have made several stops at Tim Hortons during her most recent stay.

So I figured I may as well show her how to make her own homemade donuts.  This way she can eat them year round ;)




I have a deep-fat fryer that we got 10+ years ago at our wedding.  I probably now pull it out once a year or so.  


Just thinking back as I type this to the time I made donuts to bring camping one year.  With oil in the deep fryer than had been there for over a year.  Who knew that oil went rancid???  But that's a whole 'nother story... particularly the odour they left in my house!

Anyhow... point being that if you don't have a deep-fat fryer, you can just use some oil in a deeper pan and flip the donuts over.

These are clearly not the healthiest choice, so are really only for an occasional treat.  Like when your long lost friend is visiting from France.  Right??

Now, I clearly don't know much about donut storage.  Ours ended up going stale way before they were done.  Maybe 2 or 3 days after we made them.  Here are some tips about donut storage to ensure you'll be able to eat them all before they go bad ;)


1 C sugar
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
4 C all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 C milk
3 tbsp. melted butter
oil for frying

1.  Sift together sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and flour.

2.  Beat eggs thoroughly, then stir into dry ingredients.  


3.  Add the milk and melted butter and mix until it forms a dough.  



4.  Roll about 1/2 inch thick on a floured board and cut with a donut cutter.  



5.  Fry several at a time until nicely browned, flipping over halfway through.  Drain on paper towels.  Dust with granulated sugar or confectioners' sugar.





Makes 24. 


Difficulty level: moderate

7 comments:

Eliza said...

Omg now i know where donut holes come frm and why they exist!!! I thought they werr their own invention but it was to not waste the donut center. Thx for the visual!!!

Food for Thought Linds said...

omg Eliza, you are too funny!! Camille didn't believe me when I told her that's where they came from. It makes me think of the time I finally figured out that "leggo my eggo" commercial. Baha!
xoxo

Eliza said...

Wait whats the commercial mean?

Food for Thought Linds said...

Ok, now I'm just peeing my pants!

Let go of my eggo. I had heard it for probably 10+ years, but one day actually watched the commercial and couldn't believe how dumb I was...

Lee-Ann said...

Oh those look so good! YUMMY!

Karen said...

30lbs?!?!?! No way!!! And a doughnut cutter? Seriously? You must have a ton of storage space in your kitchen! LOL!

Food for Thought Linds said...

I know!! I don't remember it in the slightest! And we actually ran out to get one just for these. I figured I couldn't show her how to make donuts without a donut cutter ;)