Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mom's Tuna Casserole

This is another recipe that my mom used to make us as kids.  Now that Logan is eating fish, I decided to make this, thinking that it was a perfect combination of things that he likes.  And that he would therefore actually eat it.

For quite awhile now, I've been attempting to get him to just eat what we eat for dinner.  And so far, I haven't had much luck with it.  He often ends up munching on crackers, bananas and yogurt and calling it a meal.  But I am being persistent in my efforts.

I got a great big grin when I put this on his plate.


However, within seconds, he was scraping all of the tuna casserole off of his plate and onto the table...


Without a single bit of it ever touching his lips.

I am, however, happy to report that when I served him leftovers today, although he yet again did not touch the tuna casserole, he happily munched away on the corn I served with it, which is a first.

My intention when Logan eats this one day is to add some cooked sliced mushrooms and peas into it so that in can become a one dish meal.  But I didn't want to push my luck first time around.

regular potato chips (or Premium Plus crackers)
medium egg noodles (I used whole-wheat)
2 cans of tuna
can of condensed mushroom soup
milk

1.  Take a bag of regular crushed potato chips and spread some on the bottom of a casserole dish.   Alternatively, you can use whole-wheat Premium Plus crackers (enough to cover the bottom).  I used whole-wheat Ritz crackers because that's all I had in the house that would work.

2.  Cook 3/4 bag of noodles according to package directions.



3.  Using 2 cans of tuna, alternate putting noodles and tuna in the casserole dish (I did 1/3 noodles, a can of tuna, 1/3 noodles, a can of tuna and then the rest of the noodles).



4.  Pour one can of mushroom soup and one can of milk over the casserole.


5.  Place more chips/crackers on top.

6.  Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for one hour.


Difficulty level: easy

3 comments:

Kris said...

I hate tuna and mushroom soup as a kid yet loved this casserole ...

Camille said...

I remember that!!!!

Kris said...

Do you remember some of the others? She must have made some of them when you were here!